My hens are depressed!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erlibrd, Jun 11, 2011.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Not only haven't they laid an egg in over a week they won't come bouncing out of the coop in the morning when I open the door like they used to, I opened the pop door an hour ago and said ~good morning chicky ladies~ like I always do, they normally are all happy and get off the roost! now they are still on the roost. They have also been putting themselves 'to bed' earlier at night. I am confused about their behavior and sad, darnit they are going to depress me!! [​IMG]

2. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    mine are having some issues too.. but it is the heat here. this 90+ degree heat has them chasing shade in the free ranging yard... until the sun is high and they have to retret to the coop.. for about 3 hours..they are all laying out trying to keep cool.. hard on them

Shelly

3. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    We've had a couple hot days but now it's been cool for a few so don't know if it could be the weather. I coaxed them out with some boss. They just arn't themselves [​IMG]

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Its probably the heat. How would you like chasing bugs wearing a down jacket in 100 degree weather . Poor chickens summers hard on birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by