1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hens are dying, vets says 2.5 years is old? true

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tammye, Jan 4, 2012.

1. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I am losing my 2 year 7 month old hens. Called a vet and he said they are old and succumb to disease more easily. This stinks!!
    I am wondering if I have a virus ect.. spreading throughout my flock or are they just old?? The three that have gone were small hens and very heavy layers.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's not really that old for a chicken. Alot of vets really don't know a whole lot about chickens. People don't often take them to the vet either. Do you hens display any symptoms?

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    What breed do you have and how close together were the deaths?

4. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    I have hens that are 3 years old... fat & healthy and laying almost everyday! IMO 2 1/2 years old is not a point of 'Dying of old age' in your chickens...

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    two that have died are BO's and now my Barred rock in ill. Suddenly lisless, not eating well, watery diarrhea, thin, very thirsty?? any ideas

6. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    You totally have something going around if you have any more chicken best to qurentean the barred rock.
    The oldest living chicken (on record) was 16 died a few years ago.

7. Quote:is that all the symptoms? anything else? shaking of the head? etc. any new birds added lately?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  8. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
  9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    What about worming? They could have some internal parasites that are killing them......

10. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    To me that sounds like a bad case of worms [​IMG] but that would be odd for all of them to have it. And I think almost three years old could be a normal old age for hatchery stock chickens. Unfortunately it sounds like they're I'll, not just old [​IMG] good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by