My hens are dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickentrauma, Mar 30, 2017.

1. chickentrauma

chickentrauma New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Dear members of byc,

I need urgent help/ advice. Four of my chickens are dead already and rest are suffering one by one. When we found two lethargic and gasping for air, we separated them. One died in few hours and other survived for two days. Then another two had the same symptoms. They died too after two days. We have had them for six months and they were 8 months old. Now others are gasping, moaning, wheezing and seems like crying (sounds). They habe stopped eating too. Yesterday i finally got lincomycin. It said .2 for each chicken weighing 1 kg fpr three days. I injected them all 10 and today too. But there hasnt been any improvement. What do i do? I am feeling bad when i hear them cry. Cant bear it. Please respond to me.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG]Welcome To BYC

Can you take one to a vet?

Do you have a video of their actions and condition that you can share with us?
    Can you post some photos of the chickens and their housing?

Have they eaten anything rotten/decaying (dead animal, maggots, moldy fruit/veggies), toxic (rat poison, weed killer, etc.), have you added any new bedding/wood chips that could have been molded or mildewed?

It would be best to seek vet care since you have so many that have suddenly died and have worsening symptoms. Testing can help you determine the cause and the best course of treatment.

3. chickentrauma

chickentrauma New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Thanks for responding. After reading your reply, i spent a whole day yesterday changed their house's location, removed almost one inch earth where they roam. Yesterday another one died. Now i have 9. I gave them the last dose of LS injection but those that were affected didnt improve and thpse that werer not got affected and have started sneezing. I went back to pharmacy since bird vet isnt easily available here. He gave me tylo 20 and asked me to add 1/4 teaspoon in one litre water and give 10 to 15 drops a day to each chicken. He also gave me vit to give them too 1 cc in 1 litre. Please guide me if its okay or i shpuld increase or decrease the dose. My one rooster is so weak and dizzy i guess that he is spinning. He and one chicken smeezed all night! I cleaned their eyes and nose with saline water since one of his eyes was completely closed. Pictures attached[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  4. chickentrauma

chickentrauma New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    There are three things that we are suspecting: one that we brought 5 new younger chickens; two of them the first ones to die 2) right after their arrival I think after 2 days it started to rain and I suspect water seeped through the sides and stayed there on the sides of their coop, although inside was dry 3) my husband put compost in the backyard that they might have eaten.

Could it be NC Disease since the rooster is spinning strangely as if he has some neuro issue?

5. chickentrauma

chickentrauma New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    anyone?

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It's really hard to know what's going on unless you have some testing. You may want to consider sending the sickest one you have for necropsy to get better information.

As far as the medications, I would go with what was advised by your vet/pharmacist, they should know the proper dosage and application of what they gave you.
    It's very possible that your flock contracted and illness from the new chickens you added. Antibiotics will only treat any secondary infections from respiratory diseases, so if you aren't seeing any improvement then most likely what you are dealing with is a virus.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by