my hens are eating the EEs eggs, but not the other ones?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenmimama, Nov 27, 2012.

1. greenmimama

greenmimama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    I feel like I only come on here asking for help for all my chicken issues, but today while I was in the coop it became quite obvious why I am only getting brown eggs and hardly ever any from my EEs. I went in to let them out to free range and an EE was up on an egg, while I retrieved the 2 other eggs and went to get hers, she had hopped off and there was already another chicken trying to peck and break it. When I picked up the egg, it was very cold, so she hadn't just laid it she was trying to protect it from the bullies Or so that it how it looked, then I was in the house for 45min and in that time, another EE laid an egg and the others ate it. It's quite frustrating to feed and care for these hens and they won't even let me collect all the eggs laid.

SO today would have been another 4eggs out of 6 hens, not too bad, but they ate another one.

ANy tried and true methods, except caging them all up individually?

2. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    haha well my ideas are pretty... ummm i guess you could say harsh.
    You can blow an egg and replace it with hot sauce. Then when they ate it... they wouldnt want to do it again. Egg eating is contageous. All the other birds will see it and they will start trying to do it also. also you can fill it with mustard. collect the eggs as much as possible.

also try this link.. its super effective in getting them to stop eating the eggs.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=257074&highlight=egg=eating

best of luck

Sincerely,
    BeautifulJade[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. greenmimama

Aug 22, 2012
    That nesting box looks really cool, right now our current nesting boxes are so big, I could probably retrofit the bottom to do this and still be enough room in there for them to lay, I like it too because soon, I will have 44 more layers and if the boxes were empty, then they could be used over and over?

4. greenmimama

Aug 22, 2012
    I am also going to try separating them and putting a golf ball in there, hopefully it will deter them.

5. greenmimama

Aug 22, 2012
    They did it again, I can't seem to get out there fast enough, I did put the golf balls in there, next up, egg shell with soap in it, teach them they taste gross :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by