1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

MY HENS ARE FIGHTING help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brit57, Sep 30, 2011.

1. brit57

brit57 In the Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Michigan City
    I did everything I thought you are supposed to do....I set up a run next to the original girls and put my barred rocks next to the girls for a good coulple of days. Everything seemed to be going good so I decided to merge the rocks and my original hens. Now my original hens are picking on the barred rocks! I dont know what to do does anyone have any advice??! The roo didnt get put in with the other hens he went back to his coop...
    [​IMG]

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    They will pick on each other for a little while until they get the dominance structure figured out. As long as they aren't relentlessly chasing, picking bald, or drawing blood I wouldn't worry about it. They will adjust in their own time.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ditto. Not drawing blood, let them work it out.

4. brit57

brit57 In the Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    Michigan City
    Thanks guys..I was worried that it just wasnt going to work at all since the hens werent as welcoming as I expected them to be they love the dogs, the rabbits everything but other chickens I guess. All I can do now is wait it out. My austrolorp "Janice" took a good few feathers out of one of the barred rocks. Hopefully they all learn to coexist. -fingers crossed-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by