My Hens are fighting!

MJ1985

Hatching
Aug 3, 2015
Hello everyone! I have five RI Reds which are approx 1year 3months old.They have been together since day one no other hens have been introduced. Lately "Momma" has been extremely broody. I have to psychically remove her from the coop multiple times a day otherwise she will not leave the nest box. When I remove her from the coop and put her in the yard or run "Georgia" starts attacking her. Momma just runs away she never fights back. Why does Georgia keep attacking her? Please help!

In my limited experience:

Momma is broody and basically removed from the outdoor pecking order. Georgia is exuding her dominance in the pecking order and momma has zero interest in bickering since her only interest is hatching eggs, rocks, or a large clump of chicken poo.

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about the fighting since that's what chickens do as long as there isn't blood or death. Breaking your hen of being broody would be a better task. Search the forums a bit (I'm sure there's something in the learning center) and that will get you on the right path.

Good luck!

In my limited experience:

Momma is broody and basically removed from the outdoor pecking order. Georgia is exuding her dominance in the pecking order and momma has zero interest in bickering since her only interest is hatching eggs, rocks, or a large clump of chicken poo.

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about the fighting since that's what chickens do as long as there isn't blood or death. Breaking your hen of being broody would be a better task. Search the forums a bit (I'm sure there's something in the learning center) and that will get you on the right path.

Good luck!
x2. Its natural. Georgia is just trying to be the dominant hen, and i advise breaking Momma hen so she can get her rank back.

There are several cases with this.other hens HATE broodies.Probably because of their look.They look "Threatening".

Has Georgia always been more dominant then this hen?I strongly doubt your "Momma " was just gonna run away because she was pecked.She probably would've turned around and beat the mess outta Georgia,IF she was more dominant then her from the day they met.

Back
Top Bottom