My hens are getting ready to lay?!

Chicky91

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Ok so found one egg. Now the rest of the flock are going into the hen houses laying down adn making loud noises! they leave the box after a few moments tho and cluck loudly. Is this normal?

Ok so found one egg. Now the rest of the flock are going into the hen houses laying down adn making loud noises! they leave the box after a few moments tho and cluck loudly. Is this normal?
gig.gif
You bet it is!! It's enough to drive you crazy, isn't it?? When my girls first started laying I had one who I call Ms. Neurotic, she'd bwok and bwok constantly....in the coop, outta the coop...in the coop, outta the coop...drove me nutso! Just leave them alone, they'll finally figure out what's going on. But yes, it is craziness at first for sure...good luck!!

Exactly! That's what I did and I can relate when you said ...never got any house duties done....
gig.gif
Here's a pic of mine:

It's great! I can be on the other side of the house and all of a sudden I'll hear the Egg Song blasting away!!
love.gif
Glad you are enjoying it….let the house stay dirty, it will wait….but the EGGCITEMENT won't!

Thanks! Do you know which model you have?

I plan on going to Best Buy and find a system that will run thru my router to my laptop instead of the ones that run thru 'the cloud' as I have no signal here and no smart phone or similar device. I want something that has software that will record and has good reviewing capabilities.

Not sure that what I want exists or will be affordable, but I'll ask the pros and find out. I don't understand quite enough to evaluate them by browsing online.
The Uniden is UDW155 - old model and was closeout, not likely available. But can be attached to play thru windows/pc..not mac compatible. can record video/photos but poor quality, low resolution. use 4 cameras for monitoring while at home --- can tell if all are ok and that coop/run perimeter is not breeched.

My IP camera is SHARX SCNC3905, bought directly from the SHARX folks, was the best price I found and they had a special $100 off…..but the software provided isn't high tech. But resolution for live views is awesome. There are a lot of reviews on Amazon I read before ordering elsewhere. But it has a memory/dvd card in it and you can set it to record video or photos and review, save to computer or delete. The folks recommend you get a permanent ID address from a third party cause some home wireless systems cause it to change. I have not done that, don't wanna. But have been using mine since first of August with no issues. I'm not computer tech savvy, but my husband is, and he was able to get camera up and running with the booklet that came with it.

If you have not done so already, take a look at HENCAM blog…they have IP streaming for public view..awesome. Look at the FAQ , they show what their cameras are and give starting info on what it's all about……but I searched those and they were $$$$$$$, mine was about $300 total for the SHARX.

How many chickens? How many nest boxes? Sounds like mine did when they didn't have enough privacy. Are they screaming 'get out of my box' to each other? Curtains fixed it for me.

Now I'll get as many as three laying at the same time.

But if it's the I just laid an egg song, then nothing will fix that. That is VERY normal!!

Good luck!

4 chicken about 5 nesting boxes. maybe it can be they need curtains. Other chicken hop in the box and check to see what the fuss is all about lol. but they sit in and move the hay make loud weird noises and then the leave and act like nothing happened lol

It is crazy! my son keeps checking to see if there eggs but it sounds like it'll be soon!!!!
ya.gif

It is crazy! my son keeps checking to see if there eggs but it sounds like it'll be soon!!!!
ya.gif
Get a baby monitor and set it in the coop. I got cheap surveillance cameras at Walmart when mine were young…placed one in coop could see who entered nests and hear them…but behind privacy curtains of course. Too much fun, never got any house duties done during those days.
pop.gif

I actually have one from when my son was born. Good idea. Can it be any old curtains/cloth?

Back
Top Bottom