My hens are laying in the strangest places!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sumi, Jul 4, 2011.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    One of my young hens started laying recently and discovered the rubbish bin. It's lid doesn't fit, so we put our rubbish in bags, tie it shut and toss it in the big bin. Thursday morning we took out the big binbag and she hopped in, so I left her. After awhile she hopped out and a few minutes later I put a new bag in. This was late morning. That evening my husband discovered her and egg under the bag in the bin. Thankfully she survived. And she's still laying her eggs in there!! I found 2 eggs in there since Thursday.
    5 Other hens come into our house in the morning to lay their eggs in the washing basket. I even found eggs in our bed, (and a hen once, she went to sleep under the pillows and scared the life out of me). They have nest boxes. Nice nest boxes and I keep adding new ones. Anyone else's hens doing this or is it just me and my funny birds?

2. PineLaneFarms

PineLaneFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    hiding under you pillow? [​IMG] i think its just you and your funny birds. great post

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds like your birds need to be locked in their coop for awhile; until they learn that nestboxes are the best place to lay their eggs.

4. j'aime mes poules

j'aime mes poules Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    New York
    mine would lay in a basquet on the counter top in the kitchen... she would peck at the door untill i give up and let her in.

Her name is Adele, she is a golden comet

[​IMG]

5. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
  6. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Love it! How cute is that:lol: I'm an upstate New Yorker too!

7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I would say to lock them in the coop for a few days so they get the part of laying and sleeping in the coop not anywhere else.

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i have a couple of crazy layers too [​IMG] one lays in an old bird house that has a missing roof, one in the old shavings in the wheelbarrow, in the shavings bag, in a bushel basket in the basement, and old fish tank filled with gravel, in the manure pile i could go on and on and on....

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. I would shut them in their coop for a few days. Maybe put some golf balls or fake eggs in their nest boxes.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by