My hens are losing weight, and I am not sure what is going on... Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by harvestmoon, Dec 16, 2010.

1. harvestmoon

harvestmoon New Egg

Dec 16, 2010
    Hello, I am pretty new to caring for chickens, so I am not sure what to do! A few of my hens are losing weight noticeably, but showing no other symptoms. They are eating and drinking regularly as far as I can tell, and their eyes seems clear and healthy. They all seem active, running around and talking to me. Could they have worms? Should I go get some over the counter dewormer, or are their other signs of illness that I should be looking for? My buff orpington is almost skinny looking! help, i love them so much I just want them to be healthy! They are about 4 1/2 months old.

Thank you for any advice!!!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Yep - time to deworm them! [​IMG] I would recommend using Wazine first in their water to cut their worm load, and then 10-14 days later use something like Ivermectin or Eprinex. Also, do you give them grit? If not, they can't "use" all the feed they are eating...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    also check them over real good for lice and mites and if they have them the ivermectin pouron will take care of them. But wazine first.

4. harvestmoon

harvestmoon New Egg

Dec 16, 2010
    Thank you so much, your advice is super helpful!. I don't feed them grit, right now they are eating laying crumbles and scratch. But when I slaughtered my extra roosters about a month ago, when i cleaned out their crops I noticed there was plenty of sand in them along with their food. I am not sure if that is relevant information or not, if you feel like I should be supplementing their feed with grit, I would be happy to give them what they need!

Thank you so much for your quick response, I was so worried!

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    If they have access to ground that has enough sand in it, that should be fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by