my hens are making alot of noise when i go near them... why??

line painter

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
i have a few kinds of chickens, but my rhode island red are acting funny.. they are about 18-20 weeks old and have not layed any eggs yet nor have any of my hens and whenever i go near the pen the come running to the fence and start skwaking its a long drawn out sound and the dont stop till i leave.. why would they do this

Mine started acting this way around the time they started laying eggs. I always reach down and pet them when they do.

They're looking for treats? Chickens can be quite entertaining most of the time.
I was really impressed at the variety of sounds they make. Yours seem normal enough
smile.png

im not sure what normal is.... this is my first flock and it started with three and im now up to ten. im not real sure what treats to give or a whole lot about them but im trying to learn everything i can, any pointers?

Mine raise a ruckus if they're in the run and want to be let out to free range for the day. They also raise a ruckus when they want their daily treats. This is triggered when they first see or hear us. They just get all excited and have a lot to say. The rest of the time they're quiet.

If they were free ranged or given treats by either you or a previous owner, maybe that's what they're trying to tell you.

Don't worry about the eggs - they'll lay when their bodies are ready. The 20 weeks is an estimate.

As for the noise - I have to agree that they want something from you. Mine do it when they want out of their run. They'll see me and start pacing back and forth in front of the door being all loud. I can't always let them out - and when I leave they quiet back down 'cause they know their request was not granted.

Quote:
Check this wonderful list out someone here on BYC made. I printed it out and keep it in the kitchen. I regularly clean out my fridge and if it is still good to eat and on the list I toss it out back for the girls. They love treats and have become more and more friendly over the weeks with more treats.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

BTW
welcome-byc.gif
from Dereck in Indianapolis!!!

Back
Top Bottom