my hens are mean to me

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chews chooks, Oct 10, 2012.

1. chews chooks

chews chooks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    how can i tame my chooks theyr broilers

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have never had broilers but in general I usually feel like most living things can be won over with food.

I use mealworms and sit low and still on the ground a safe distance from the coop and then toss the worms to the chickens. Gradually I throw the worms closer and closer to me, just a little at a time so they have to walk in my direction to eat them. I try to be careful of their tolerance and don't push too much at time. But, generally with a week or so of doing this everyday I can get new chickens to eat out of my hand and climb into my lab to get worms.

Once they are used to you and come to think of you are a yummy treat haver they don't mind you so much.

3. smyers32

smyers32 Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are broilers, aren't you just going to eat them? In which case.....who cares??

4. clucky3255

clucky3255 Chillin' With My Peeps

i just go into my coop and start reading a book, let them come up to me and each time i go out to the coop i try to asscoiate food with me. so i bring apple pealings, carrot tops.ect. give it a shot... it worked for me. [​IMG] but if you are going to eat them it is not very good to get them to like you if in the end you are going to haveto eat them [​IMG]

5. Woodysgirl29

Woodysgirl29 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I feed mine some cracked corn everyday. Now had them for 6 months and when I get home from work they run across the lawn while I park and talk to me as I open the door. Every time I go outside they follow me around to see if I have brought them a treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by