mY HENS ARE NOT LAYING

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ange, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ange

ange Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    CORNING NY
    mY 3 RIR AND L WELLS SUMMER HENS ARE NOT LAYING, RIR ARE 8 MONTHYS OLD, AND HAVE NOT STARTED. dO THEYT LAY IN WINTER.

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Sometimes. I am starting to get more eggs, with the daylight increasing, and I am boosting their protein. There are lots of variables. Near the top of the page, you'll find a "Google custom search" box and a search button -- you can research any topic on here using the search function.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You don;t say where you live but if you are in the northern hemisphere your hens may be lacking light. They need a combination of artificial and natural light totallying 14 hours. [​IMG]

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yes they should even lay in the winter . [​IMG]

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    They should lay in wintertime too. Mine are 7 mo old and laying like gangbusters on only about 10 good hrs daylight. I do not use any supplemental or artificial light at all. Yours are old enough to start. For one thing, do not overdo treats such as table scraps or scratch grain. Feed is formulated to max out the laying potential of layers today. Too many carbs will cut egg production. You could add Calf-Manna to their diet as it is high in protein. Protein is the fuel for both eggs and feathers. Are they molting? Do you see feathers? Are your hens free-range or confined to a run? If free-range, they could be hiding their eggs. Something could be eating the eggs. Have you ever seen any shell fragments?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by