My hens are sick

tnthomas29

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 20, 2014
I started them on antibiotics about 4 days ago, because they all sound awful! Almost like they have bronchitis. They are eating, but when I put the medicine in their water they will sip it occasionally, but don't drink very much of it. Is there something that I can put in it to help encourage them to drink more? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I will definitely try the ACV, I was actually going to do that last night, but didn't know if that would interfere or effect the antibiotics so I decided against it.
The ACV is basically just an acidifier with some enzymes so I doubt there would be any interference.

As for the sugar or agave nectar, just enough to make it slightly sweet, you certainly don't want to give too much sugar.

Usually you can have your birds tested to see what you are up against, depending on where you are it is probably even free. Like chickencanoe said, very good chance it isn't bacterial. If they have been on antibiotics for four days with no improvement, it is either not bacterial, or you don't have the right antibiotic for what they have. Some people on this forum are very good at diagnosing based on symptoms, but without a test it is just a best guess. Also, if you need to get meds into sick chicks, than a syringe and feeding them directly always works better than in the water in my opinion. That way you can make sure they get the proper dosage. Good luck, it is so sad when our birds are sick!
I don't have a clue to what the OP's setup is like but I've found that many people worry more about the birds being too cold and don't provide enough ventilation and that's either the source or a contributor to respiratory problems in chickens.

So, I don't mean to sound stupid
idunno.gif
but would I just take one of my hens to the vet and have them test her? I can try to syringe, with their size, it could be a little tricky..lol. I think that I am going to try the sugar in this mornings fresh water and see if I can get them all to drink more.
You can take one of the sick ones to a vet but be prepared that good avian vets are very rare and those with poultry experience are rare as hens' teeth.

Your area may have none.

When the bulk of the flock is sick with the same thing, especially if it seems virulent, the best thing for a pet person to do is to take them to a vet for blood work, fecal testing, throat and nasal swabs, etc..
The best thing for someone that is willing to give up a bird is to take or send the sickest one to the state lab, have the bird humanely euthanized and a complete necropsy and histology done. That's usually cheaper than the vet route and much more conclusive. Otherwise you're stabbing in the dark.

You can take them to an avian vet, but that would be expensive. If you have an agriculture college nearby, they will often test them for free. We are close to University of Florida, and they will send someone to your house and test for you. Some vets will do slides for you without a full vet visit, you would have to call around and see what they can do, and some states will have state rep or county reps that will test for you. You could call your local extension office, they would often know who can do testing in your area. I know that isn't much help, sorry! Respiratory diseases can be very tricky, i had a friend we were sure her flock had coryza, testing showed it was MG.
I once thought a few of my birds had roundworms due to symptoms. Rather than treating, I had a fecal sample read. They didn't have worms but clostridial diarrhea. They were treated with tetracycline. Had I willy nilly treated without testing, I would have prolonged the problem and stressed them more with a wormer.
More recently, I had a very sick rare bird and the thought of trying an antibiotic crossed my mind. Instead, I had to know exactly what I was dealing with so I could save some of the flock. I took her to the state lab, 300 miles round trip for a necropsy. It turns out she had cancer. Prophylactically treating her and the flock would have done nothing, prolonged her misery and done my part to create super bugs by administering antibiotics for no good reason.

I agree very much with comments about having a bird tested if at all possible. It helps immensely to know what you are dealing with and how best to treat and manage it.

If you have access to a good avian vet who knows chickens that's a good place to start if you are willing to spend the $$. Although, as mentioned, finding an avian vet is one thing, finding one who knows anything about chickens is even harder. What applies to parrots and other pet birds doesn't always apply to poultry.

As far as where you are with your birds right at this moment? If at all possible I'd stop putting the antibiotic in the water and treat them directly, either orally or injected. I didn't see how many birds you have, sorry if I missed it, if you have to many that method won't work but if you can do it that's the best way to make sure they get the exact dose they need.

As far as giving antibiotic's to birds with respiratory disease? It is true that many are viral, so no, you won't of course cure the disease. BUT the problem with any respiratory disease in any bird is that they really easily morph right into secondary bacterial infections and pneumonia. That's why antibiotic's are very good idea if you want to try to save them.

What antibiotic's are you using? Tylan 50 is very good for respiratory disease, you can give it as an injection or you can give the injectable orally. It also comes in a water soluble powder if you have a lot of birds and need to dose via their water.

Yeah I am pretty sure...well, I got them in the spring and some are starting to lay. They sound horrible.

you could add some sugar and/or ACV.

I'm not trying to be smart but I'm curious what made you decide they had something an antibiotic would cure? Many respiratory problems are viral, fungal, environmental and nutritional. A rather small percentage are bacterial and of those not all are curable with antibiotics.

That's okay, your not being smart...I appreciate any suggestions. We are new to this. Well because they started sneezing and then coughing and started sounding horrible. I guess after I started them on vitamins and VETrx and neither were working, I thought what else can I do...

Like I said, all suggestions are highly appreciated.

I will definitely try the ACV, I was actually going to do that last night, but didn't know if that would interfere or effect the antibiotics so I decided against it.

Usually you can have your birds tested to see what you are up against, depending on where you are it is probably even free. Like chickencanoe said, very good chance it isn't bacterial. If they have been on antibiotics for four days with no improvement, it is either not bacterial, or you don't have the right antibiotic for what they have. Some people on this forum are very good at diagnosing based on symptoms, but without a test it is just a best guess. Also, if you need to get meds into sick chicks, than a syringe and feeding them directly always works better than in the water in my opinion. That way you can make sure they get the proper dosage. Good luck, it is so sad when our birds are sick!

Back
Top Bottom