My hens are snobs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kristin.marlies, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Kristin.marlies

Kristin.marlies Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    I love my girls and have tried so hard to find them treats but they turn their beaks up at almost everything. The only thing they even remotely bother with is watermelon. They do however love the bird seeds from the wild birdfeeders.

Are anybody elses chickens like this?[​IMG]

2. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    Some Times It Takes Time For Them To Get Used To New Food. I Mix New Foods/treats In With The Food They Are Used To.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yeah, I had to find a way to convince them to try many things. They are so afraid of new things. I thought mine would never eat BOSS till someone on here suggested mixing it with something wet. Now when I throw it out with something else, they pick out the BOSS first.

If they are used to scrambled eggs or yogurt these both make a great way to introduce something new. I had to use scrambled eggs to get them used to yogurt!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
  4. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    What Is Boss?

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Black oil sunflower seeds. I wondered the same thing when I seen BOSS [​IMG]

6. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Funny, for a long time the only treat my chickens would eat was also watermelon. Then eventually scrambled eggs. Now they are gradually eating more and more treats.

7. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's Hugo Boss layer feed, for the discerning chicken palette.

8. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:Sorry, I never heard of that. I still learn from this forum [​IMG] I have seen posts saying that boss is the sunflowers that's why I posted that.

9. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Pinky--boss is sunflower seeds. Elizabinary is making a funny (good one)! Chickens, like small children, are suspicious of any new food that suddenly appears on their plates. Sometimes if you offer it from your hands, they will be more willing to try it. Fortunately for me, I have one hen who simply MUST inspect anything new in the run and be the first to peck it. If she starts eating it, it then becomes a feeding frenzy!

10. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:Sorry, I never heard of that. I still learn from this forum [​IMG] I have seen posts saying that boss is the sunflowers that's why I posted that.

Oh sorry I was joking!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by