My hens aren't eating laying crumbles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pgraves, Oct 1, 2011.

1. pgraves

pgraves New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    My young hens recently started laying eggs so I switched to laying crumbles and they're not eating it. Should I go back to the flock raiser crumbles they were getting previously? (They also get a little scratch grain and range in the garden for a couple hours a day.)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Flock raiser has higher protein (20%) compared to most layer feed (about 16%), so there is nothing wrong with continuing to feed them flock raiser with a little ground oyster shell offered on the side for extra calcium. Flock raiser is about a dollar more, but if you have roosters or different age chickens and pullets it is less complicated to just feed them that. But your gals may get used to the layer feed eventually--mine love it wet with a bit of water, but don't mix more than they can eat in 1 day because of mold problems.

3. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Blend what they have been on to what you want to feed them. 25-75 50-50 75-25 then 100%. some say it is better for their digestion too but with everything chickens will eat i am not so sure...

4. pgraves

pgraves New Egg

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks for the great advice. I'll try mixing the feed and hope to switch them to the less expensive type, but another couple of dollars per 50 lb. sack won't break the bank. They seem to be the boss around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by