My hens aren't laying. Advice please?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15, Dec 30, 2007.

1. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    HI I AM LOCATED IN WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA AND I HAVE 3 HENS AND A ROOSTER,I RESENTLY AQWIRED THEM FROM MY FRIEND.I HAVE TRIED EVRYTHING TO GET THEM TO LAY BUT THEY JUST WONT!THEY HAVE ONLY LAYED ONE EGG SO FAR, I HAVE THE LIGHT BECASE WE ARE IN DAYLIGHT SAVINGS THEY HAVE FRESH WATER ,GREAT LAYERS MASH,GRIT,AND NESTING BOXES!IM ABOUTE TO EXTEND MY COOP TOMAROW BUT CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE.

*edited to reword title of thread without caps lock. [​IMG] *

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  2. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Sometimes the stress of a new environment can have them stop laying for a bit. Give them time, they will start laying again if they aren't too old.

3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    They may be too young to lay. Can your friend tell you how old they are?

4. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    How old are they? I'm getting very few eggs now too, but I think that's natural for them and to be expected. I figure it will pick up again when the days get longer & the weather(here) gets warmer. They need a break in the winter.

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    How long have you had them?

What's the sunrise/set times where you are right now?

How old are they?

Are they molting (dropping a lot of feathers?)

Sounds like the diet is OK, but there are many reasons hens stop laying for a while.

The three most common are winter, stress and moulting...

Be patient - they should start up for you again as they get settled in and the days get longer.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Can you post pic's of the hens?

That will help folk determine the breed, aprox age and if they're going through a molt or anything of that nature.

7. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    THEY ARE 1 1/2 AND I HAVE A RHODE ISLAND RED, SPECELD SUSEX,A HUGE GIANT WHITE ONE WITH FETHERS ON HER FEET AND BLACK MARKINGS ON HER NECK.I ALSO HAV A ROOSTER BUT IM NOT CONVINCED HE IS ONE HE HAS A CROP BUT COULD HE BE A FEMALE THAT LOOKS LIKE A MALE?HE HAS GOLISH MARKINGS ON HIS NECK

8. WESTPALMPOULTRYMAN15

Dec 30, 2007
    WPB FLORIDA
    THEY ARE NOT GOING THROUGH MOLT BUT I THINK MAYBE THEY ARE TO CRAMPED UP IN THER COOP ITS PRETTY BID BUT IM EXTENDING IT TOMMAROW.IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN TELL IF THE ROSTER IS A ROOSTER?

9. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Does your rooster crow? At 1 1/2 he should. If he doesn't can I have him? [​IMG]

If you post some pics, some of the experts on this web site (not me) could tell you.

10. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Also, pretty please don't post in all caps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by