1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Hens aren't Laying, please read!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kaylee gee, Oct 9, 2012.

1. kaylee gee

kaylee gee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    When we lived in southern Alabama, I bought my chickens (from 2 different sources). I have since moved (middle of July) to southern Louisiana. The hens were all 17 weeks old when i bought them, and now are around 7 months or so. Not a single egg has been laid! I contacted the woman I purchased the cochin hens from, and she said her have been laying for 3 or 4 months. I have them on a pelleted chicken feed, and they are also grass fed. The coop is 8'x2.5'x2.5', with 2 nesting boxes lined with horse-quality hay. I have two waterers, one inside the coop, one outside the coop. There are 5 chickens (1 bantam rooster, 3 standard-sized hens, and 1 pullet) who are in the coop at night. They dont seem stressed, and they all appear healthy. I dont know what I am doing wrong, but I need help! Thanks for any insights.

P.S.
    I tried looking at the post that was stickied about this, but the link wont load for anything.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Well it could be many things, but I'd start by asking if you have some golf balls or fake eggs in the nests. You could have egg eaters, or maybe hidden nests if they free range.

Anyhow, the fake eggs will help prevent egg eating since they are hard as they try to peck them, and will encourage them to put their eggs in the proper place.

A move can cause them to stop laying, or any stress. If they don't get out of their coop at all, they could be stressed.

I hope this helps.

Do you notice any signs of illness?

3. kaylee gee

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    I dont have the fake eggs, but I will see about getting a few.
    The move was so long ago that it would no matter any longer, i would think.
    They get out of the coop every day, all day. I let them out at about 9am and lock them up after they go in on their own at dusk.
    They seems healthy and happy to me. Neat, clean feathers; bright, clear eyes; scratching the ground and playing around. They seem as happy as a chicken can be.

4. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I was at my witts end last week with my 7 hens and no eggs. This week I finally got my first egg,( at 25 weeks). I think your girls are probably just not completely "at home" yet. I wouldn't worry too much, it will happen eventually. My Rhode Island Reds started laying at 16-17 wks. They are all different, and I'd bet $$ your move delayed it a bit. But, they can't hold it in forever, Right?

5. kaylee gee

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    They are 7 months now. It seems like more than just late bloomers to me.

6. ChickensAreSweet

I would be looking high and low for a hidden nest!!!

They can be very inventive!

7. kaylee gee

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    Well they are confined to a 50'x25' fenced in area, since there are foxes here, and I've checked all over, because that was one of my thoughts. A friend had a hen who laid her egg in the top of the food container! Alas, my girls have no hidden nest.

8. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    This time of year,with hens molting and light dwindling you may be looking at a Feb. or march laying time. Late end of year layers are always iffy. They some times will wait until Spring.
    I look at this time of yr. for worming and dusting or ivermectin pour on drops on my hens. Since there are not many eggs I don't feel as bad about not using them for two weeks. I give Yogurt after the treatments for the bowel readjustment and extra protein with fish mixed in. It gives the feathers a nice shine. Gloria jean

9. ChickensAreSweet

10. kaylee gee

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    lol no ive never heard it from them. they are generally very quiet. i made them nicer nesting boxes, and i will pick up some fake eggs today or tomorrow. what type of food can i give them that might help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by