My hens aren't laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mthro2, Jun 13, 2011.

1. mthro2

mthro2 New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    Hi! I just joined BYC today. I have 24 hens and 4 roosters. We just bought a little farm and the previous owner gave me the chickens. When we moved in (about a month ago) I was getting about 14 eggs a day. Every week since then I've been getting less and less. Now I'm only getting 5 or 6 a day, if I'm lucky! They get plenty of water and I'm feeding them the exact same food that she was giving them. I let them out every morning and then put them back in at night. We do have a dog, but, for the most part, he leaves them alone. He did go through about a week where he was really curious about them, so they would peck at him, then he would nip at them. But he stoped doing that. I had a hen who I let go broody. I let her sit on her nest for about 3 weeks and no babys, so I kicked her off. I am beyond frustrated!!!! I don't know what to do. How can I fix the problem when I can't even figure out what it is?

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Mine slow down dramatically when it gets superhot, are you going through this heatwave where you are?

3. mthro2

mthro2 New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    No, we live in a pretty cool climate in Idaho. It's been really rainy lately and the nights are cold. I thought they might be too cold, but my husband said the prev. owners didn't turn their heat lamps on until it got down to 20 or 30 in the winter time. So I figured they're ok that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by