My hens aren't recovering from their rooster wounds!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wings, Apr 18, 2009.

1. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have a happy little flock of four hens about 10 months old.

We just got rid of our rooster two weekends ago because he was being too abusive when mounting the hens.

Now, the loss of feathers on their backs are not leaving! It seems as though the feathers haven't grown back!

Am I being too paranoid about my girls? Or could this be a ligitiment problem? Could they be pecking eachother? Or maybe they have a nutrition deficiency??? What's going on???

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. dirtdoctor

dirtdoctor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Hollister, Califronia
    HEY WINGS,

Dont worry, feathers dont grow back like facial whiskers, But they will come back in. We had a RANDY ROO that was picking on a couple hens, finally had to send the ROo to FINISHING School, (read Freezer). Hens will heal up, i use wound coat if their is damaged skin. but give them time.

someone in the chats makes saddles(protects them hens backs)

Go look

3. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Thanks dirtdoctor! I'll try not to worry! [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If a feather is just broken, but the shaft is still intact you may have to wait for a moult for a new feather to take its place.
    If the feather is completely gone, shaft and all, it will grow back before the moult.

5. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:So I have to wait a while? Oh well...

Is there anything I can do to speed the process of feather-growing up?

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When my girls were moulting I offered alot of high protein snacks - string cheese, scrambled eggs, and black oil sunflower seeds to aid in feather regrowth.

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    You could feed them some cat food (meat kind -- not kibbles) and yogurt, too. MissPrissy does this and her birds have some of the glossiest, healthiest feathers I have ever seen.

Do you think they are picking at each others' wounds at all?

8. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I HOPE not! Actually, I don't think they are. You can only see the skin of one hen, who got extra attention from our rooster. So I don't think it's too extreme. I'm just a worry-ward...

9. Pampered Hen

Pampered Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Vermont
    In some hens it takes a long time to re-grow lost feathers. I had the same problem with my roor over mating the hens and causing bare backs. We removed the boy in February and while 5 girls have slowly grown new down feathers, one girl still wears bare skin.

10. wings

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Good! I feel a little better now! I was worried that the wounds were from eachother... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by