My hen's chicks are hatching while I'm away. UPDATE, they're hatching!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bock, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I have a broody hen who is sitting on 4 eggs. She is in the coop with a piece of chicken wire around her nest box. It keeps her in, and the other chickens out, but I am not sure if it will keep in the chicks. I have had unprotected chicks killed by the other chickens before, and their own mother was mean to some foster chicks in the past. I am going to be gone for 3 days, at the same time the chicks are supposed to hatch. I am worried things will go wrong. I hope they are okay! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I got back today and they had not even pipped yet. It is day 19 today, and my bantams usually hatch on day 19 or 20. Anyway, it was 108F today when I got back, and I noticed the broody would stand up and pace the cage every 5 minutes, and she was panting like crazy , so I let her out into the run. She took a dirt bath, and after an hour of her being away I decided to candle the eggs. I could see chicks moving in each of the eggs, and one was pecking the air sac. She didn't return after 2 hours, so I broke out the bator and threw them in. The temp is a little unsteady ( between 95 and 99), but if I had waited any longer they would have died. I can only hope for the best now! [​IMG] Oh yeah, and that dumb hen never did return to the nest. [​IMG]

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    C'mon chickes!!!!!! [​IMG]

4. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks! This morning there were no pips, but the temp. is now steady at 98.5. I read somewhere that they hatch better at 97-98 degrees, so I won't mess with it. The humidity is at 48%, should I increase it, or is that ok? I hope they hatch! [​IMG]

5. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    They are peeping like crazy now! One of the eggs was rocking so hard it almost rolled! [​IMG] I can't wait!

6. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    ONE HATCHED!!!!!! [​IMG] It pipped on the bottom of the egg, and I didn't even notice until 10 minutes before it hatched. [​IMG] It is such a sweetie, every time I leave the room it starts peeping SO loud! 1 other one just pipped! Man they are cute. [​IMG] Little Bantam Old English Game/BTW Japanese Bantam babies. I wish I could post pics, but I can't find the camera. [​IMG]

7. The Coastal Chicks

The Coastal Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Savannah
    Congratulations!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  8. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank you! I am in love! [​IMG] I hope they aren't all roos again, I get so attached. [​IMG]

9. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Now 2 are pipped, and I am holding the first chick right now. It refuses to be happy if it is not in my hand. [​IMG]

10. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    2 more hatched! the hen went back to the nest today, but I kicked her off. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by