1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hens comb has a cut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tonyfunhouse, Jan 8, 2013.

1. tonyfunhouse

tonyfunhouse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    Batavia Ohio
    She has been bleeding for a couple days and then it stopped and tonight the blood is back running down her neck. Is there anything i can put on it to make it stop bleeding? Thx Tony

2. nicolemac

nicolemac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Isle of Skye
    I've not encountered this but I have read that some people use cornstarch, if putting pressure on it doesn't do the trick.
    I know it's not exact advice - but it's something for you to look into while waiting for experienced help.

Hope you find an answer soon.

3. tonyfunhouse

Oct 30, 2012
    Batavia Ohio
    ok thank you i will try the cornstarch. im down to try anything.

4. FenikT

FenikT Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    Styptic powder. Available at any pet store or drug store (either powder or chalk stick).

5. nicolemac

nicolemac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Isle of Skye
  6. tonyfunhouse

Oct 30, 2012
    Batavia Ohio
    ok i will stop at the local feed store tomorrow and see what they have Thx Tony.

7. tonyfunhouse

Oct 30, 2012
    Batavia Ohio
    Me and my daughter just applied some aloe and flour didnt have cornstarch so i guess we will see in the morning how shes doing. THX everyone and im open for any advise. Thanks Tony

8. Ehirning

Ehirning Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2012
    I came home to the same thing today [​IMG]. I isolated her so the other girls won't attack. I'll check on her in the morning and use the cornstarch if I need to. It looks horrible because she's a bantam leghorn and all white. Thanks for the advice! Gotta love BYC![​IMG]

9. tonyfunhouse

Oct 30, 2012
    Batavia Ohio
    its been 3 days and there has been no more blood from swirl thanks for the info Thanks Tony [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by