My hen's comb won't grow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickendude, Nov 26, 2012.

1. thechickendude

thechickendude New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    So I have two hens that I got about 7 months ago. The smaller hen has grown her comb out and was laying eggs consistently (she's broody now). The bigger hen, however, still has not grow out her comb yet. I think she might have laid ONE single egg a month ago (there were two the very first day they started laying). I've read that a sign for egg laying is that the comb grows out. Is there any reason the bigger one still does not grow hers yet (and not laying eggs)?

Thanks.

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    What breed are your chickens? Are they two different breeds?

3. thechickendude

thechickendude New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    Ah I thought about it but forgot to mention. They are both buff orpington.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It is my understanding that usually the combs and waddles turn red and get a little fuller after they start laying. It is odd that they are the same breed but different sizes. Maybe posting a pic of each would help?

Each hens matures at a different rate and anywhere from 4-8 months is still in the normal range. Have you looked around for any hidden nests?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  5. thechickendude

thechickendude New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
  6. thechickendude

thechickendude New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    Does anyone have an insight into this? I suppose I have no choice but keep waiting.

7. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I have two Buff Orpingtons, and one has a big comb and one has a very small one. The hen with the small comb still lays, but the comb doesn't grow. So I think you'll just have to wait patiently for eggs...Hard, I know. :p

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  8. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012

I literally have a chicken doing the exact same thing, and it's even the same color...

She is huge, but no comb at all and no eggs either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by