My hens eggs are getting smaller

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mikey, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Mikey

Mikey New Egg

Nov 7, 2008
    My hen's eggs are getting smaller, can anyone tell me why.

Mikey

Australia

Please do not post your age in open forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2008
  2. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Mikey, welcome to the BYC family. I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone around here does.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    First of all, I'd like to say [​IMG]. If you give us some in depth details then maybe we cld help u better. Please let us know stuff such as: age of hens, what type of feed u r giving them, how much u r giving them, are they in a run or free range, have u had any big weather changes, etc. Also, if you don't mind me asking, what part of Australia r u from? I have a co-worker who lived there for many months, but I need to ask her exactly where in Australia she lived. Just curious, u don't have 2 tell me if ya don't want to. [​IMG] Hope we can help u re your hens though.

4. Mikey

Mikey New Egg

Nov 7, 2008
    Thank you both for your warm welcome. I have 2 hi-line brown hens they are about 7 months old. I am feeding them a layer pellet mix I buy from local farm supply place as well as a few scraps from the kitchen. The pellets are in one of those feeder things. They are very fussy and only want to eat the wheat and only eat the pellets if nothing else. The chickens had the run of the back yard but completely stripped the back lawn and all the garden beds, we don't have any weeds anywhere. My Dad recently made them their own section fenced off from the rest of the back yard. Their coop is still the same.
    We live in Perth (Capital of Western Australia) on the west coast, and just coming into our summer. We have a hot dry climate in summer and cool wet winter, in fact our seasons are very definate.

Hope you can help

Mikey

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    are they just starting to lay ?

6. Mikey

Mikey New Egg

Nov 7, 2008
    They have been laying for about 6 weeks
    Mikey

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    well , when it starts getting into fall and winter , egg production does go down , BUT I never heard of size decreasing

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My perception is that my eggs have also been getting smaller in the past couple weeks. Maybe they have just stopped getting bigger and bigger since my first pullet eggs and size has leveled off and I think they are getting smaller. Well the only solution is to get smaller egg cartons so I keep think they are getting bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by