My hens feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Miss Gallagher, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Miss Gallagher

Miss Gallagher In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2018
    Hi, could someone tell me what greens to prepare, cook and feed to my hens that is safe for them to eat, I'm not getting the answer I need on the internet and going around in circles,
    I'm from the UK
    Thank you

2. LoveDatChickenLife

LoveDatChickenLife Chirping

Jul 9, 2017
    The question you asked is hard to answer... it’s hard to understand what you need.

I think what you’re asking what greens to feed your chickens..?
    They can eat a lot: lettuce, cabbage, mint, corn, cucumber, etc.

Just get what you want them to eat, and look it up to see if they can eat it. They could eat almost anything!

Miss Gallagher likes this.
  3. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
  4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
  5. obicat

obicat Songster

Mar 4, 2018
    Northampton, UK
    Unless your kitchen is vegan only then in the UK you are not permitted to cook things for your chickens. You also cant feed them anything out of your kitchen and definitely not any scraps etc

6. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    This is very interesting. What is the reason behind this in the UK? I'm guessing there were problems with something specific for a law like this to come about.

7. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    If I am understanding this correctly, it's against the law to feed chickens table scraps/kitchen scraps or to feed them anything cooked from your kitchen in the UK. If I am understanding correctly, could you provide a link to this UK law?

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    UK has mega controls in place due to unwarranted fear of Mad Cow dz. To OP, I would plant a mini garden for your chooks. Leaf lettuce, kale, other greans, cucumbers, zucchini, any of the winter squashes, grains, grass would be welcome options. Simply give them access to your lawn, if that is an option. You would not want them eating from a lawn that has been treated with any herbicides/insecticides. You can also feed their egg shells back to them.

9. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    I was aware of the mad cow thing and how bad it got there. I didn't know if there was something similar tied specifically to chickens. I did find an article and study showing that chickens fed kitchen scraps have a substantially higher rate of salmonella.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: