My Hens has two plugged nostirls

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pwand, Nov 8, 2008.

1. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    My 5.5 yr old hen I believe has a respiratory infection. Both of her nostrils are crusted hard and plugged. I have tried to use peroxide, warm water with a little bit of dish soap, and nasal mist using a qu-tip . Nothing seems to be working. It seems to make it harder for her to breath after I'm done. I have her on antibiotic and vitamins for almost a week, she seemed to improve somewhat. How long can it take to clear up an infection. Any suggestions on how to unplug her nose. She is eating and drinking. thanks

2. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    i am new to chickens, but you might want to google VetRX Poultry ($6-10) and see if you think it might help. it has camphor and other natural things in it. the box says for colds. i used it for my pullets' diarrhea after reading about it on another byc blog and it helped.

i am no expert-so maybe someone else can weigh in on this as well. hope your bird gets better.

3. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Thanks for you reply, I'm going to contact the feed stores and see if they sell it. If not I will order it. Thanks again. [​IMG]

4. hankshens

hankshens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2008
    TN
    What kind of vitamins do you have her on? Good Luck

5. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Quote:I have her on Poul-vite.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I found an article here on Plugged Nares. http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html

It
    sounds like you tried some of it, but it may be worth a review. It also sounds like it can take quite some time to resolve, so keep working at it.

Jody

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Thanks for the article, I did come across this one. I will keep trying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by