My hens HATE Layena

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lifetime chicken lover, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    I have been giving my girls Layena since the oldest ones (a month older than the youngest) first started laying at 18 weeks. They used to eat a lot when they were getting Flock Raiser- I'd have to fill the trough feeder twice a day. And they'd still free-range all day and get treats!

Ever since I started Layena, they hardly eat at all! After 2-3 days, the feeder is still full!!! I used to mix the FR and L, but now I'm all out of FR.

So, my question is- how bad is it to go back to Flock Raiser for laying hens? They still get oyster shell if they want it. Some days I can't let them out to free-range, so I wonder if they are getting enough to eat. Any suggestions?

2. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I can't answer your question, but I'm trying to get my 18wk olds to eat Layena as well, and they don't seem too keen on it. I have been mixing with the grower feed, but like you am pretty much out of it and the feeders look basically untouched. My local TSC doesn't carry the flock raiser so I guess I will try another brand of layer feed if they don't come around.

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I'm not sure what the higher protein will do over a prolonged period of time, but think as long as you provide oyster shell, they should be ok. Or maybe you could just continue to mix the two when you can get to the store again.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Are you using the pellets or crumbles?? I've read of many folks who say their birds won't eat the pellets. Also, I noticed that grasshoppers are out big time (at least in my area)...could your chickens be filling up on ample bugs right now??? My girls certainly have been gorging on them. I think flock raiser would be okay if you have free choice oyster shell or egg shells available for them...

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I think your right.My chickens have been eating a ton of grasshoppers & eveytime I look in the feeder its the same.

6. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Would beating up the pellets in a food processor achieve the sam result as crumbles? Hate to throw out 3/4 bag of Layena.

7. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    Thanks for the support and advice. I spoke to the guy at the co-op, who has raised chickens for years. He said that as long as I am giving them oyster shell with the food, its probably ok to give other feed. He recommended Home Grown feed, which is lower protein and not in pellet form. Though I still have 3/4 bag of Layena pellets, so will probably try to break that up into smaller pieces and see if they'll eat it then.

btw, I also bought some BOSS today for the first time and after the first taste, the chickens almost knocked me over trying to get more!! [​IMG]
    They LOVE it!! Does it also have some good nutritional value?

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My girls will eat the Layena pellets but now that they are freerangers most of the day the feeder stays pretty full compared to when I kept them cooped.
    Like kids: if that's all there is to eat, they'll eat it, but if there are tastier things (bugs, weeds, my garden...) around the regular food goes untouched.

The BOSS has Omega-3 fatty acids & my hens love it too.
    I feed it as scratch mixed with whole oats.
    They tell me they want it by pecking at the bucket I keep it in until I toss some out.
    They have me trained.

For my horses, I feed it for coat quality & both my boys shine with minimal grooming.
    The chickens have very glossy feathers too - the Black Stars and Houdan are iridescent! - so I am thinking it works the same for them.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What did people feed their laying hens back before there was laying ration?

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Leftovers and scratch or scratch grains. Some folks never fed their chickens at all and left it up to the chickens to find their own grub.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by