my hens have breathing problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prittybitty, Apr 24, 2009.

1. prittybitty

prittybitty Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    my hens are panting with open beaks. i lost one hen that started out that way. i just thought she was hot.. next thing i know she is down and her comb is purple and a little swole. i need advice. i didnt know vets were hard to find to treat chickens.

2. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    I'm not very experienced, but is there an ammonia smell in the coop? Maybe that is the cause.

3. prittybitty

Aug 10, 2008
    no im not smelling it my self but they may be alittle more sensitive to it. i have a rooster and he isnt acting like anything is wrong

4. Eggs-Actly

Eggs-Actly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Daytona - Florida
    I just went thru this and after much deliberation and various additives to their water it occurred to me what the problem was:
    the fine pine shavings I was using. I had cleaned their area out this past Sunday and then put new pine shavings in but I noticed when I opened the new bag of pine shavings it was the "extra fine" stuff not the pine chips/shavings. Apparently I grabbed the wrong bag while at the feed store and did not notice it. I noticed some dust when I put the pine in but thought nothing of it until I went in the next day and noticed the girls were almost whistling their breathing was so raspy. Wednesday night I cleaned it out again and put the pine chips (it's not actually chips it's pine shavings but it's not extra fine) I normally use in and voila, they are fine. Thank goodness.

I don't know what you are using but perhaps it could be that simple? [​IMG]

5. prittybitty

Aug 10, 2008
    i was using bedding hay and my feed store was out. so i bought a bale of feed hay which is much finer and dustier that may be it. i will remove it and see what happens. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by