my hens have diaarhea for the past few day.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mimes peeps 5, Oct 7, 2011.

1. mimes peeps 5

mimes peeps 5 New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    I need some help. I am new to raising Chickens, I have a few hens that have diaarhea, and I am not sure what to do to stop it. I had read where you could give them yogurt with espom salt and wheat bran. Then after I gave them this dish, I was scanning to see what others have been posting. I ran across one post that said not to give chicken yogurt. Can some one please help me. I don't like to see my girls sick, any help you can give me would be great. I had also read that you could give them slippery elm, but can't find it up here in Aroostook county. thank

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yes you CAN give chickens plain yogurt. Besides having the hershy squirts, are you chickens showing any other signs of being ill? It's actually pretty common for chickens to have the runs for a few days. What is the color of it?

Here is a link to a very helpful chart of chicken poo that can be helpful for diagnosing problems.

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. mimes peeps 5

mimes peeps 5 New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank you so much for you help, they seem healthy, they all eat alot, and drink plenty of water. I sit and watch them to make sure that there is no ill hen. If so then i take her out for some R&R in my little hospital room.:) Thank you for the link I will check it out. Oh ya the poo is a mustard yellow, I keep the hen house pretty clean, and change the shaving once a week. Plus I clean there perches of any poo from the day. I work so try to do this at night. If there is anything else I need to do please let me know. Appreciate you help.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Why did you give them yogurt with epsom salt and wheat bran? YOU gave them products to CAUSE the diarrhea! You should only be feeding them layer feed if they are over 18 weeks old. Feed them only layer feed and their poop will eventually get back to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by