My hens have Scaly leg mites :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KeithNKarri, Mar 25, 2015.

1. KeithNKarri

KeithNKarri New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Hi everyone! I am a new chicken owner and have just discovered that two my six hens have scaly leg mites! I read that I should separate them from the others, scrub their legs with warm water and soap, then apply a thick layer of Vaseline. I did all of this a few days ago and I was wondering how long it takes before you know if tis working? Did I do everything right? is there another, better way to rid them of the mites? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Get some gasoline and AD ointment.

Day 1: Dip chicken's legs in gasoline, let air dry. Apply AD ointment.
    Day 2: AD ointment only.
    Day 3: Repeat gasoline (air dry) and AD ointment.

Magic cure, they say. :)

MrsB

3. KeithNKarri

KeithNKarri New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    I am happy to report that last night I took my hen, who had the worst of the scaly leg mites, and I put her legs in warm soapy water. When I began to gently scrub her legs with a tooth brush, the nasty infected scales came off. Her legs look so much better! I re applied more Vaseline and I think in a few days she'll be good to go back outside :)

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Did you see this thread? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/240019/how-often-to-apply-vaseline-for-scaly-leg-mite

It takes more than two treatments of Vaseline to kill the mites and nits. They burrow into the skin.

You'll also have to treat the roost pole and coop, probably.

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by