My hens have started laying and now my rooster is acting strange.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miss jay's mama, Nov 4, 2008.

1. miss jay's mama

miss jay's mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    I got our first egg yesterday and I'm 99% sure Henrietta is laying one now. The hens seem fine they sound funny but otherwise normal. However my rooster Miss Jay is acting very strange. He normally makes alot of noise clucking and crowing, and he always comes running and begging for treats. Today he is not making any noise, he is off by himself in a corner of their run and he has no interest in treats. Is it normal for roosters to be freaked out when the hens start laying?? He doesn't look sick and he was fine yesterday. Anybody have any ideas???

2. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    He's probably having an Identity crisis, after all his name is MISS jay..... (sorry, couldn't resist) [​IMG]

3. miss jay's mama

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    I know he has a funny name... He was suppesed to be a She (thanks Agway for that one). I guess all of my chicks have funny names, but seariously, does anyone know why he would be acting this way??

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    if shes laying Im guessing he's trying to mate. Maybe he tried and she made it clear it wasnt going to happen. Is he the alpha chicken? If she was agressive maybe he got scared off. It could be totally unrelated and something else scared him. Id watch him for a day or so and just make sure hes not injured.

5. miss jay's mama

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    No I don't think he is the alpha chicken more like third man down. The hens that started laying are #1 and #2. The rooster did try mating with one of the EEs so I'm thinking it does have something to do with his strange behavior. Later in the day he was a little more social but when I locked them up for the night he was sleeping on the floor by himself. All of the hens are up on the roost. I guess they are just all grown up now. I'll look him over good tomorrow to see if he is hurt.

6. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    How has Miss Jay been doing?

7. miss jay's mama

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    Miss Jay is doing good. He is back to his old self. I'm pretty sure he just hit puberty and that is why he was acting so strange. He had stopped sleeping on the roost but after putting him back up there a couple of nights he goes up by himself.

8. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:ROFLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! HHHHHAHHAHHAHAHAHH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by