My Hens Have Stopped Laying-help!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JUROBBINS, Sep 9, 2009.

1. JUROBBINS

JUROBBINS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    very southern illinois
    hi! i have 3 regulars that have stopped laying. no change in food-they get pellets & free range during the day. also my spring roos started crowing last week-shouldn't the spring hens be laying now too?[​IMG]

2. toetoe

toetoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    Is it possible they may be molting, thats one reason that 3 of mine have stopped laying.

3. JUROBBINS

Oct 2, 2008
    very southern illinois
    like losing their feathers molting? nope...no feather loss other than Black Betty who seems to be my roo "Speedy" favorite right now...and that is only on her back. this has been going on for most of the summer...weird.

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Stress
    Heat
    Lack of Daylight
    Molt
    Trauma
    Over breeding
    Not enough cool water to drink
    Egg bound (not likely in more than one at a time)
    Broody

there are so many reasons that chickens stop laying, it could be any, all or none of these... mine do better when I provide plenty of cool, clean water, good layer pellets, and enough light.

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Could be age if they are older hens...I know my older hens drop production somewhat. But its ok... I still love them even if no eggs

<ungrateful heathen birds> /sigh

6. JUROBBINS

Oct 2, 2008
    very southern illinois
    heat maybe? i didn't have any issues last year with them though....stress from new "babies" getting old enough to lay too?? water is not an option between large waterer and the runoff from the central air unit they all seem to LOVE...esp. the ducks,lol. only 1 roo for all those girls, which is more than he had last year. any suggestions on anything i can try to do?

7. JUROBBINS

Oct 2, 2008
    very southern illinois
    i wouldn't think the age, they are only 2 goin on 3....

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Free ranging hens?

Time to go on an easter egg hunt! [​IMG]

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Do you have a dog who can get into the coop? [​IMG] Mine love eggs and can be tricky.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  10. JUROBBINS

Oct 2, 2008
    very southern illinois
    yes free ranging...the dog can't get to them-he's contained and seems to prefer the guinea eggs when he is loose...another story for another time,lol!
    i've checked the tall grasses...never had a problem with them not layin in the coop before. i think i will try to contain them to their fenced area/coop for the next few days and place some of my son's golf balls in the nests, just to see if it helps any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by