My hens laid their first eggs the other day, but today nothing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Toshi, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Just the other day i found my hens eggs in the hen house. So i got the nest box and set the eggs in there. This is thewir first time laying and they were nto due to lay for another few days so i didnt have to box in ther yet. Well i thought once they started to lay it would be an every day thing, they lay every day normaly. Well all day today i havent seen an egg at all. Beside the two from the other day, both the eggs were small and i knew they would be, but why didn't the lay again today? Or should they lay in the morning? Or later on? Did any of your first egg laying hens not lay the next day after they laid once already?

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Yes; it can take them a few weeks to get in the swing of things. I wouldn't worry. They'll soon lay some more!

3. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Ok thank you lol i just was not sure of the whole thing they are my first chickens i ever had lay so far so i was soo excited when i found the eggs, thank you again [​IMG]

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Trying to think but from my 10 layers, its must have been a week and a half before I got a full dozen. Now i get 2 dozen give and take every three days. Give them time and before you kno it they will be into their routine.

5. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I also found out they stop laying eggs when they go broody. My BO is in her second brood and it lasts a month. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by