My hen's leg/foot are swollen - please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by atvmudrat, Nov 4, 2010.

1. atvmudrat

atvmudrat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    I have 7 chickens. Today my white Easter Egger who is 4 month's old must have injured her foot/leg. The top of her foot is swollen to twice the size. She roams during the day with the other 6 chickens and the only other animal in their pasture is our friendly goat. The only things we can think of that caused this is maybe the goat stepped on her foot or maybe a snake bit her. We don't see any signs of a snake bite.

She managed to make it back into the coop and up the ramp. She is just lying there with one of her wings spread out as if she is keeping weight off her sore foot. She is eating and drinking water.

Is there anything I can do for my chick? She's so sweet and very pretty. I have no idea what to do to help her. I thought about putting her in a box and bringing her inside for the night but my husband felt she would feel safer and more comfortable in her usually nesting place - with the other hens.

Please tell me if you can think of anything I can do for her and if you think she will be okay.

Darla

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

Have you checked for bumblefoot? Are you familiar with it? Look for a scab or dark place on the bottom of the foot.

3. atvmudrat

Nov 4, 2010
    I am not familiar with it but once I read your post I started reading about it online. Since it's just one foot, it doesn't seem like that would be the cause - based on what I read. The bottom of her foot looks normal. She just has a swollen spot on top of her foot. I really think she injured it, I just don't know what to do to help her heal.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you. I'm worried about my chick.

4. atvmudrat

Nov 4, 2010
    I thought I would update this to let you know my white EE made it through the leg injury just fine [​IMG] She has been back to normal for a long time and can run faster than any of my other 6 hens and rooster!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's good to hear

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by