My hens legs are turning red?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ZombieChickens, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 5 Red Stars. They live in a small insulated doghouse coop with an attached run. The door to the coop stays open at night except for on super crazy windy nights, I run up there and close the door. Today the kids had the chickens out, and noticed that their legs (one in peticular) had some red or pink streaks on them, and in between the toes. I've done some research, and only found information on roosters legs turning red. Anybody have info? I'm worried about the cold, even though I keep reading that they should be fine in the cold.

[​IMG]
    Here are the girls

[​IMG]
    Here's their house (for now). There's a small shed in my driveway, waiting to be moved outback to replace it!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Can you show us an up close picture of their legs?

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Can you post a picture? Is it all of your chickens, or only some of them? Have you noticed any limping? Check the bottom of the feet for any lumps.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  4. jesscott

jesscott New Egg

Feb 7, 2016
    My hen has red legs as well. They have been red for months, so no frostbite or Illness. I'm not sure what it is.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Most chickens with lighter colored legs may turn reddish especially between toes and up the legs when they are fertile. This happens in hens and roosters. Please post a picture when you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by