My hens look fine one day, die the next

michelle43

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Vermont
I had 17 hens, they are 7 months old. Tuesday night everyone of them looked fine, eating and drinking fine. Wednesday morning I found one hen fluffed up and gasping for air. I picked her up to take her in the house and she died by the time we reached the door. I could see thick clear mucous in her mouth. Nothing else abnormal. I believe that she suffocated from this thick mucous.

Last night, all the hens looked great. This morning, one hen was puffed up and refused to scratch for grain when I threw down some scratch. Everyone else was very lively. I've brought her in the house to isolate her.

Does anyone know what could be wrong? What medications I can get? No vets in the area will treat chickens, so I am on my own. Also, I heat the coop to about 40 - 45 degrees. There have been no changes in feed, or otherwise.

Any help is appreciated.

ooooooooo no my light sussex hen had somethink like that then i found out that i had thes red milerpeds they can get rilly big she broboly got stung or was hungery and had a late night snak
ep.gif

My vet doesn't treat chickens, either, but he does know how to go about getting a necropsy done in this area without spending a fortune. Perhaps yours do, too. Sounds like you need a definitive answer. Sometimes they want them frozen, sometimes not -- something to look into. Or you could call your county ext agent if you are in the US, or a local ag college. There is some info on here, too, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom