My Hens My Journey My New Love

Aug 7, 2019
Oahu, Hawaii
I began this adventure with zero experience. It started in May 2019 purchasing 1-2 each of breeds being sold at our farm supply store here in Hawaii- 5 chicks. Each month thru September I added baby chicks to my flock. It was alot of work managing the different ages and keeping them separated. but I managed!
As of today I have 1 Roo, 15 hens, 13 of which have been laying eggs regularly and my 2 youngest (20 weeks) just gave us their first egg a few days ago but has not given daily yet.
right now I’m contending with the mistake of not introducing the 2 youngest into the flock sooner. a few of the flock are being bullies and pouncing on her. I intervene and pick her up, maybe that’s wrong I dunno. But I hate witnessing it. On a previous thread I reached out for advice. When in the coop she is separated in a crate for what I feel is how I’m protecting her.
I allow the hens time out of the coop a few times a day, I love to sit and watch them enjoying the freedom! While they’re out our 5 Weimaraners & 1 Great Dane are kenneled for a nap. our 2 sheep & 4 goats are usually among the hens grazing as well.
Prior to egg laying the hens shared a coop with our 2 turkeys. Due to nonstop rain that caused flooding & muck we had to temporarily relocate the hens I hope to someday have a coop with run that’s big enough for the hens, turkey’s & 2 ducks to cohabitate. I have the space, I just need the re$ources to make it happen.
i hope you’ll enjoy my photos😘

Attachments

TwoCrows

Inuit Raven
Staff member
Premium member
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
BEAUTIFUL photos!! :love

Introducing new birds is never easy but if done slowly from behind a cage of fence for a couple of weeks, definitely minimizes the agression. Separate out the worst bullies for a while and add more food and water stations so the new one can get sustenance. It takes a few months for new birds to truly get integrated. Good luck! :)

Fatimetta

Songster
Aug 4, 2019
Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
Wow it is absolutely beautiful there! Are there many natural predators of chickens there?

I had trouble integrating my birds too and finally had to take the bully out for 4 days and try again. It worked that time!

Aug 7, 2019
Oahu, Hawaii
Wow it is absolutely beautiful there! Are there many natural predators of chickens there?

I had trouble integrating my birds too and finally had to take the bully out for 4 days and try again. It worked that time!
aloha! Thank you!! The natural predators would be rats and mongoose. I’ve never seen them around because of the dogs. I also keep the coop lit all
night, not sure if that’s been a deterrent or not.

Great advice Im going to try that.

Top Bottom