My Hens New Look?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jan336, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Jan336

Jan336 Chillin' With My Peeps

What is going on with my black sex link hen? She all of the sudden has bright red appearance and is distant with me. I included a pic of her a month ago, and then in the last 2 weeks she has bloomed like a beautiful red rose in the summer a bright red face, and patches of red coming through on her breast/neck area.

ABOUT A MONTH AGO:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WITHIN THE LAST MONTH (new look?):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    How old is she? Judging by appearance, she's about to start laying.

3. Jan336

She was only a week or two old when I got her this summer....around June. So I am guessing she is about 6 months old? She is a late bloomer for a laying hen from what I have gathered.

4. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

She's growing up - she's very pretty.

5. Jan336

Thank you so much. I have been waiting forever for an egg. LOL

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That's what I was thinking too [​IMG] And it doesn't have to be a new layer. My adult girls who molted this fall kept pale combs through the molt, and only recently did they brighten up nice and red again. Within a week of reddening up again, my BR began laying again. My BA's comb is almost back to "normal" again too, so I expect her to return to laying any day now [​IMG]
    My little light sussex's comb turned bright red about two weeks before she began laying...and now she's a little laying machine! [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    She's about ready or she's hiding eggs from you, [​IMG]

I've had chickens for a long time and there is no rule they follow about when to lay. Some lay at 16 weeks - some wait until 34 weeks. [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She is beautiful

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

She has certainly matured into quite a beautiful young lady! And soon to lay, too!

10. Jan336

Quote:She will hide eggs? Don't they sit on them until they hatch? I have not seen any hidden. Looked around and under the coop today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by