my hens Quit Laying after i got rid of rooster in Tempe Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swhenmomma, Sep 14, 2012.

1. swhenmomma

swhenmomma New Egg

Sep 14, 2012
    not sure why i feed them household scraps they have air conditioning and they have only scratch to eat as well they just sit in the coop on nests but nothing every day?? they have clean water in the shade as well and a hiding place with no eggs what to do any ideas out there am i missing something in theyre diets?

2. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Laying birds require extra calcium in their diet. So you will want to provide at least some oyster shell freely. Also I would consider a layer feed or at the least some all flock feed of some type and offering oyster shell. If you are feeding them scraps- do they have access to dirt and small pebbles? If not you will also need to offer them grit to help them 'chew' up their food. Scratch is usually considered as healthy as a potato chip. Nice for a treat but little nutritional value- I highly recommend some sort of chicken feed in place of scratch.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Hi welcome to BYC.
    Scratch is an incomplete feed. The scratch lacks or is low in several nutrients, such as proteins. As zooweemomma a complete feed for chickens is recommend. How cool do you set the coop temperature?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by