My hens should be laying soon

katiekate88

Chirping
May 6, 2018
Hello all, my hens are almost to laying age (12 weeks old at the moment I have about 20 hens but of different breeds some are said to start laying as early as 14 weeks) my question is I've read once they start to lay they need switched to layer feed but only then same goes for oyster shells.
So if I start to get eggs but say only 1 or 2 to start with when should I start them on layer feed etc.
Also should i start them on crumble then go to pellet or always keep them on pellet? I havnt had chickens in years so I cant remember how old my chickens were when they went to layer feed.
Thanks to anyone who can help I just want the best for my flock ❤

No, you don't ever need to switch to layer. If you prefer you can keep them on grower or all flock and provide oyster shell on side.

If you choose to switch to layer I'd switch after they've started laying, and then use up your current feed before switching over/

Crumble vs pellet is up to you. I prefer pellets for less mess but the chickens prefer crumbles. As the one providing the food, I win that debate. :)

It is the extremely rare pullet that will start laying at 14 weeks and I personally don't recommend it. Laying too early can cause problems like egg binding and prolapse.
I wouldn't look for eggs before the end of September. That is around the Autumnal Equinox.
If you are in the northern hemisphere, that is the time of year when daylength is decreasing the fastest. At my latitude, day length is decreasing 2.5 minutes a day then. If you are farther north, it is decreasing more rapidly.
Decreasing daylength vis a vis dark period provides the hormonal signal to delay egg laying.
If they aren't laying by the end of September, you may want to start adding light to the coop in the morning.

Last edited:
I switch my chickens to layer crumble at 16- 18 weeks and throw in a bag of oyster shells to thier 50lb food bucket. My chickens hate the layer pellets I guess because they are used to the crumble.

I switch my chickens to layer crumble at 16- 18 weeks and throw in a bag of oyster shells to thier 50lb food bucket. My chickens hate the layer pellets I guess because they are used to the crumble.
Oyster shell should be in a separate container and not mixed with feed, especially layer feed.

Whenever I put it in a separate dish they kick it out and ends up watsed. Ive never had a problem but can they have to much? If so what is the outcome.

Put it in a stable elevated container like a cage cup so they can't trample it.
They can definitely have too much.
Layer feed is already 4% calcium. That is at the high end of what they should be getting for all but the most productive hens. I don't know what size bag of OS you are adding to 50 lbs. of feed but any is likely too much. When mixing with feed that is already the appropriate level of calcium forces them to overconsume calcium. The job of the kidneys is to regulate mineral content in the bloodstream. When they have to shed all that calcium, they can be damaged. You won't see symptoms of urolithiasis until the last functioning kidney segment is lost, then they just die - often with no symptoms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom