My hens simply ignores their food, I need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lelde, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Lelde

Lelde New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Latvia
    Hello everyone,
    Few days ago my hens were eating their specialized food with no problems, but now they simply ignore it...I tried adding some fish oil( vet told me that it is bad to give hens just plain vegetarian food and they need something from animal world, so it will help with cannibalism among hens and chickens), but fish oil doesn't help...I thought that maybe they had worms, so I checked they poop, but no signs of them....I am running out of options here, so I ask for your kind help. Maybe someone have had same problem...

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chickens hate change. Anytime there is a change, such adding the oil, they often balk. The good news is that chickens simple do not, never have, starved themselves to death.

The addition of animal protein is a very, very good thing. I prefer to buy feed that has animal protein as the third or fourth ingredient. I guess I'd probably feed them their normal feed, finishing the bag. Then, find a source of feed that has animal protein. This is getting more difficult with the whole Vegetarian Chicken feed thing going on.

3. Lelde

Lelde New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Latvia
    Oh, thanks...I have added oil before and they seemed to be happy about it...Well, with 300 chickens mass starvation would be a bit of a problem...It looks like I will pay a visit to the vet in Monday...Could it be the cold weather, maybe? last two days there was some really cold wind from north...I am thinking that that is one of the reasons why they are not eating as usual...

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Just because you can't see worms in their poop doesn't meant that they don't have them! De-worm your flock and while you're at it, dust them for mites and lice, too.

5. Lelde

Lelde New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Latvia
    Thank you! I will try this option too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by