my hens sneezing and snotty

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trishamonks, Aug 17, 2010.

1. trishamonks

trishamonks Chirping

Aug 8, 2010
    can anyone help me im bringing them to the vet in morning but just curious on what wrong with them i have 2 hens about 20 weeks old now and they have stopped laying i i think this might be just because its their first time laying 1 laid 2 eggs in a row and stopped that was 2 weeks ago and the 2nd laid 6 eggs and stopped but i seen them sneezing today and their beaks were full of snot sorry discharge it was kinda greeny am just wondering if they have a cold hopefully not flu they are outside with all the younger chicks which are about 8 weeks now do i need to get them all treated or just the older 2 oh their both rir if this helps anything [​IMG][​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It sounds like a bad respitory infection. Here are some thoughts.

MG infection: Watery swollen eye, often bubbles in the cornor of lid, watery to snotty discharge, wheezing, crackling in lungs, loss of weight, unthrifty appearance.

Coryza- Rank smell about the face, often Swollen eye that leads to a pussy eye, snotty nose, open mouth breathing, wheezing & crackles, loss of weight, unthrifty apperance.

there are others, but these two seem the most common.... Both can spread very easily and do have a carrier state in which affected birds may remain carriers, but it depends. Treat all birds that have been handled after touching affected birds and disinfect all pens.

3. laughaha

laughaha Songster

May 5, 2010
    Hi, what does the MG stand for in MG infection?

4. trishamonks

trishamonks Chirping

Aug 8, 2010
    hi chicken zoo i just wanted to say thank you for the reply i just wanted to update i brought my 2 hens to the vet and just as you said they have resp infection she gave me antibiotiks and told me to that i didn need quarantine just to treat all chicks together and sure enough they are a lot better in just 24 hours and their tails are back up again so heres hopin the antibiotic she gave me is baytril i only have to give them 0.1ml daily each and mix it with 0.9 ml water but i only have to do 48 hrs of antibiotic but anyway im sorry for the waffle i just wanted to say thank you [​IMG]

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Quote:Glad your vet can help you get them on their way to recovery. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by