MY HENS STARTED HEAVILY MOLTING IN THE END OF SEPTEMBER AND STOPPED LAYING AND NONE OF THEM HAVE STA

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by philipchickymad, Dec 16, 2013.

1. philipchickymad

philipchickymad Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Ireland
    i have 6 two year old hens and 3 pullets(which havent layed yet) which the older hens egg production went down to zero when they started to molt and now that theyre not molting there has been no eggs is it because the days are much shorter or bcause the cold weather or other. And also will my pullets start laying during winter or will they wait,
    thanks and merry christmas

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your birds are probably not laying yet because daylight hours are so short. When the daylight begins to increase again, they will begin to come into lay once more. It often takes chickens a month or so after they've finished molting to begin laying again. One of my chickens molted in September, and though all her feathers are in now, she's not laying. I expect that she'll begin laying in the spring, and yours should start in the spring too.

If your pullets were hatched in the spring (no later than May), they may start laying this winter. However, if they hatched later than that, they'll probably won't start laying util this spring.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  3. philipchickymad

philipchickymad Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Ireland
    thank you sooo much i am now relieved and wont have to sell my hens to get new ones [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by