My hens still aint layin :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VannahRAe, Oct 11, 2012.

1. VannahRAe

VannahRAe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    They are 30 weeks old and still no sign of them wanting to lay or anything. I give them layer feed and fresh water everyday. They free range in the afternoons. The weather is starting to get colder so could that be a possible show stopper lol ?

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    People have misconceptions about "layer" feed. It does not help them start laying, it has added calcium to make shells thicker. The problem is length of daylight. You could try doing supplemental lighting in early morning. That would help. Also breed plays into it. What are they? Also with free ranging there could be hidden nests.

3. VannahRAe

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    They are Red Sex links .

4. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Then I would say hidden nest or shortening daytime

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Red Sex Links should begin laying at 18-19 weeks. I'd keep them in the coop/run to determine whether they are really in lay. Young pullets don't know you want them to lay in nests you provide. That is a learned, adopted behavior. Keep them cooped in the run for at least 8-10 days.

Adding pre-dawn light, just an hour or two, will also put them into laying form and keep them in laying form, if that is what you desire.

6. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    And putting golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes will show them were to lay

7. VannahRAe

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    Thanks everyone I'm gonna put all these tips to work starting tomorrow!:)

8. VannahRAe

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    Alright ya'll it's been a month since posting this and still no eggs.

9. jabina

jabina Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Mine aren't laying either, and they are 6 months. A BR and possibly faux-auracuna. I was hoping for an election egg. . .
    I assumed it was the weather but I think it's their names, Guinevere and Criseyde. :(

10. VannahRAe

Mar 10, 2012
    Hohenwald, TN
    My hens are 8 months old tomorrow. I haven't even seen signs of them wanting to lay yet. Maybe they'll start laying by spring. Fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by