My hens stopped roosting

Txfarm2009

Chirping
12 Years
Feb 21, 2011
My year and a half old hens have stopped roosting. They have been on the roost every night for a long time. I am in Texas; we have had some chilly nights. When it is down in the 30's I turn on the heat lamp and close the door to keep them warm. (They can still go out thru the small chicken opening) I am concerned about them being warm because so many do not have all their feathers. All have bare bottoms and several have bare backs; one has a bare neck, another is bare under her wings. I am not sure this is molting because this loss of feathers has been going on since early spring. I have seen them pulling our feathers and eating them. During the summer 8-9 of them would sit on the top roost with 1-2 on the lower bar, and this was in hot weather! I am really at a loss as to why 3-4 of them want to sleep on the ground inside the coop. Any ideas about the change in roosting habits or the feather pulling would be greatly appreciated.

What are they on for feed? Mill date, protein content? Also, exact dimensions of coop and run, and number of birds in your flock is helpful info. That they are eating feathers, points to the likelihood that they are not getting enough protein. I also question if you have a mite or lice infestation. Do a thorough check of all birds and the coop. If you don't know how to check for parasites, do a thread search for more info. I believe you have a parasite or protein issue.

They absolutely do not need a heat lamp. Closing up the coop can cause all kinds of issues, the primary ones being too much moisture in the coop, and damage to delicate lung tissue from ammonia build up.

I have 10 hens. Their coop is 4x6 feet. it is not airtight or insulated. The roost bars are 4 feet long. The run outside is 200 square feet in an L shape. I also have an extension about the same size that I let them into while I clean the coop every day. It is not secure so they are in it only while I am out there.

They have been eating 16% layer pellets. About 2 months ago, concerned about the feather loss and coming cold weather, I started them on Feather Fixer which is 18% protein. I also give them oatmeal with egg and/or tuna added for extra protein about once a week.

I have powdered them with GardStar Garden and Poultry dust twice during the summer. At the same time, I removed the hay in the nests, dusted the nest and put in fresh hay. I was thinking about doing this again but it is seems too cold.

Using a powdered poultry dust should not be an issue in cold weather. My temps get down to below 0*F and stay there for many days/nights in a row. Your weather is not cold! Your coop is big enough for 6 birds. Crowding may be an issue, They will choose to sleep on the floor together instead of trying to crowd onto a perch that is difficult for them to use. Do a manual/visual check of every bird in the flock, and inspect the coop after dark to see if mites are an issue. What is the mill date of your feed? If it's over 6 weeks, it is lacking in nutrients.

Deciding not to roost in an area where they have always roost makes me think of mites. If the get too hot they will go to the floor. Sounds like you need to clean the coop, get your hands on your chickens and check for mites/lice and treat accordingly. Also improve the diet by adding others sources of protein.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiH1Mrb2YrYAhVS0GMKHbitDC4QFgjwATAC&url=https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention.64597/&usg=AOvVaw2S0rzUIf1DUVjVeheIg75l

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ng-chickens/&usg=AOvVaw39xAhZpPhFccLpIFQ-DZpV

Last edited:
I have seen my leghorns go nearly naked molting when the nights were -16F.

Hubby felt bad for them so put a sealed oil heater in there for a warm up spot. That coop is huge at 8x14 with a 7' high ceiling. Only 11 birds at the time. They all avoided the heated end of the coop. It wasn't even heating much at all but they hated it.

That coop size with that many birds a heat lamp would make it unbearable.

I agree check for mites/lice and augment the feed.

I give molting birds canned mackerel and boiled chopped eggs for a boost. Mackerel is less expensive then tuna or canned cat food.

Check for mites at night, when it's dark. Run you hands under the roost & over, you'll feel them crawling on you IF you have any. Thinking as others have said, your coop is a bit crowded, the minimal is 4 sf ft per bird in the coop & 10 sq ft per in the run. I have only 4 BOs, they have several roost in their enclosure each measuring at least 4'. I feed chicks Flock Raiser (20%) once they finish off a small bag of Chick Starter, add a separate dish of Oyster Shells when they start showing signs of laying....I also ferment their feed.

Thank y'all so much for your input. I went out a few minutes ago and checked my girls. All but one were on the roosts, 7 on the upper one and 2 on the lower one. I put the one on the ground onto the lower roost. They did not look hot; as a matter of fact, they had their feathers fluffed up as if they were cold. I checked them all, under wings, under feathers, around the vent and saw no sign of anything that might be a mite. (Not sure I would recognize one.)

I know it is not really cold here in Texas but the temperature does drop dramatically on occasion. A week ago it was 80 degrees one afternoon and two days later the low in the morning was 20. That takes some adjusting, even for me.

I will powder them with dust again and look at mackerel to provide more protein. And I will leave the heat lamp off to see if they will all stay on the roosts. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom