1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hens want to stay out of their coop at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AMS2015, Feb 18, 2016.

1. AMS2015

AMS2015 New Egg

Oct 6, 2015
    Here is the back story, I live in western NY and it is winter. To protect my chickens from the cold wind blowing into the coop, I built a "Florida room" for them in the fall. Basically it is a 4' X 4" structure made of clear roofing material. The opening faces away from the predominate wind and the clear plastic blocks the cols winds and allows the sun to warm it up for them. I also installed a perch in there for them to relax on. A sweet set up for sure. [​IMG]

It has been great for them, but starting two nights ago, they seem to want to roost for the night out there. I have had to go out there and coax them inside before my automatic door locks them out. My first thought is that they are comfortable out there (it has been sort of warmish) and I am thinking of removing the perch. My coop is intact with no rodents or anything that might be spooking them. The entire structure is inside of a caged in run, but they it would not be as safe as inside the coop.

Any ideas???

2. MikeTheGardener

MikeTheGardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    New Jersey
    In the beginning I had to do that with my girls, go out at night and coax them in. After a 4 nights they did it on their own. Of course I don't have an auto door.

3. AMS2015

AMS2015 New Egg

Oct 6, 2015
    Thanks Mike, but my hens have been roosting inside of their coop for months with no issue. This is a new development.

4. AMS2015

AMS2015 New Egg

Oct 6, 2015
    Here is an update; I removed the Florida room perch and the girls came inside the coop at dusk last night just like they used to. It seemed wrong to take away the nice spot, but it appears to have worked. If there are further issues, I will be back to ask.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by