My hens WAST SO much food!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jackrooster, May 12, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    i feed my hen lay pellet and curently game bird crumble because the duck are rooming with them untill there house is finsished.......but anyways i put there food in 2 plastic dog dishes and one of my silkie hens get right in there and stat scatching and kicks all the food out all over the floor into the shaving what should i do............??? Should i get those bog tall feeeders the metal kind that i see in the hard ware store??

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Yes! There's a reason that chicken feeders don't look like dog bowls. [​IMG] They will waste much less feed if you give them a feeder they can't get in!

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Stop refilling until they eat what's on the floor

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Build yourself a couple of these PVC feeders - one for the ducks, one for the chickens. I used 24" of 3" PVC pipe. Had hardware store cut it for me. Added 1 Y-fitting. Glued a grid cap covered in a little window screen in the bottom of the Y-fitting to make it a little more shallow. Finished with a cap on top. Cap comes off easy for refilling. My feeder holds about 8 cups of chick crumbles. I secured it to the wall of the coop with metal water tank strapping. I get almost no waste with these. The feeder is on the left side of this photo.
    [​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    That is a nifty idea.

6. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I like that idea, but what do you mean by:

"Glued a grid cap covered in a little window screen in the bottom of the Y-fitting to make it a little more shallow"

Any pics of this part? I was thinking of using a length of 3" pvc to store water that would feed into small pvc with water nipples. Anyone ever do something like that?

7. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Hmmm i like this idea...

8. Straubby

Straubby Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    new hampshire,ohio
    I like that too but how many would i need for about 20 hens?

9. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Mine is a 4" pipe, and the filler pipe is 4' tall. I have six hens and one rooster (RIR, BO, & Brahamas). I fill it exactly once a week. Abolutely NO waste.

10. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Renee' :

Mine is a 4" pipe, and the filler pipe is 4' tall. I have six hens and one rooster (RIR, BO, & Brahamas). I fill it exactly once a week. Abolutely NO waste.

Is one enough? I just put one of these together and i was thinking it was awfully tall for my 4 1/2 week girls? I will have to put it in with them and see how it goes!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by