My Hens won't lay! HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KinderKorner, Apr 5, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have 5 EE hens. The oldest one used to be a good layer, she laid everyday. Then she started hiding them and we didn't get one from her for like 8 months. (free range). Then I had 4 more that were like 9 months old. I'd seen them laying in different hiden places every once in a while. But I would never get any EE eggs in the nest boxes. And when I would finally find where they were hiding them, they would move to a new spot.

Well I decided enough was enough. I build a wonderful coop, and locked them up. They have a run, and nice comfy nest boxes now. BUT! I'm still only getting 0-2 eggs a day. Stinkers. I know they can lay I've seen them. But they seem determined to get on my last nerve. The older hen has laid an egg every day for the past 2-3 days I think. But the others haven't laid a thing. I thought chickens couldn't hold them in. I figured they would have to lay now, but they aren't. They've been in their coop for around 2 weeks now. I figured they might be stressed and not lay for a while. But this is ridiculous. I want eggs. lol

I have noticed that the rooster likes to lay in the nest boxes during the day. (I think it's part of their little game not to give me eggs.)
    So perhaps he is scaring them away from laying. Everytime I catch him in there I throw him out. The hens act like they are laying. They get up their, scratch around, and nest. But after like 5-10 minutes they get up and no eggs. I've watched them for hours trying to see if they are maybe eating them but I don't think they are. They are just not laying.

My hens have never stopped laying. Mine don't get stressed or anything cause they are well taken care of. But this is all getting very fustrating. It's been over a year since I gotten more that an egg a day (combined) out of these 5 hens! Is there anything I can do to induce them to lay?

2. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    considering they go right back to the nest, they might be broody. also, sometimes the rooster will sit on the nest for the mom. maybe someone else can help you, but thats the only thing i can think of.

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    pictures of them , please

4. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    They aren't broody. I've had several broody hens and they don't act like that. But yes it seems like the rooser is acting broody. But there are no eggs under him. Weird guy.

What would you like pictures of?

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    sounds like worms or mites.

6. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Would that keep them from laying?

I'm just not sure. Cause my other 20 hens lay daily.

But I do have mite duster, so I will take your advice and try it.

Thanks

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Do let them out for their fresh air and sunshine! That can only help - promise [​IMG]

What is their diet?
    JJ

8. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Oh they have a nice large run! So they get plenty of air and sunshine. I also let them free range while I watch them.

The other chickens still free range all the time. But I am slowly building coops and runs to house my breeding groups so I can have full blooded eggs.

They get layer crumbles, corn, grass, veggies, scraps, and anything else I throw in there daily. My chickens are very spoiled.

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Ah, I misunderstood! Maybe they're just on break [​IMG] (or on strike!)

How old are the ladies (and how long have you had them) and what is their diet?
    JJ

10. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    haha yeah I have a bunch of breeds all running loose. So all I get is mutt eggs and my poor hens are getting torn up by all the roosters. So I am building a bunch of coops and runs.

My EE's were the first to be locked up in a coop and run because they simply won't lay.

They get layer crumbles, grass, and corn mostly. But they also get a bunch of scraps from our table daily. We spoil them with other stuff as well.

My older one is probably around 2 years old. The others are about 10 months old. I know they have laid before I've seen them. But they always hid their eggs. Perhaps they took the 'Easter Egg' thing a little too seriously. Cause finding their eggs really is like an easter egg hunt.

Anyway. Hopefully after another week or so, they will begin laying again. They can only hold them back for so long right? The older hen has began laying again, this is the 3rd day in a row she has laid. And it seems another one has started too. So I'm hoping soon the others will understand.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by