My Hens won't roost!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SuperChiks, Jul 10, 2011.

1. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    My chickens all range from age 16 weeks to 6 weeks. They all go in their coop at night and roost outside during the day. But they will not roost at night in the coop. They all just lay on the floor by the door. Any suggestions?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What is your roost set up like? Is there any breeze back by where their roost is located or only at the door?

3. ericnash

ericnash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Is the roost to high for them to get on? I know at that age they cannot fly more than foot in the air to get on a roost.

4. SuperChiks

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    I wondered if the breeze had something to do with it. The roosts are at the other end one is 3 feet up, the other is about 2 feet up. They arer 1 x 2's laying flat. Maybe I need round? Across the whole front top I have about 1 foot completely open with hardware mesh covering it and and a window in the back middle. Maybe the light coming in or the air - its keeping them from going up there? So odd cause they love roosting outside during the day.

5. slabcrappy

slabcrappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Orchard Park, NY
    Quote:I am no professional, but my birds fight for the window spot! every night they jossle for position to get to the roost spot right next to the window. the window is a glass window that I busted the glass out of and stapled 1/4 inch hardware screening to. Mine love the draft.

Sal

6. sanyijr

sanyijr Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Livermore
    Quote:Superchiks, Mine went about 16-18 weeks before they actually roosted off the ground. I have a level bar, 2.5 feet above the flooring. They used to hover by one end or the other until one day they all figured it out. Imagine, 13 birds on one 6 foot 2X4. Back to back to back to back......... They wil get it, eventually.

7. SuperChiks

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Superchiks, Mine went about 16-18 weeks before they actually roosted off the ground. I have a level bar, 2.5 feet above the flooring. They used to hover by one end or the other until one day they all figured it out. Imagine, 13 birds on one 6 foot 2X4. Back to back to back to back......... They wil get it, eventually.

Thats so funny! I sure hope they get it soon lol. I was hoping the window would entice them its so nice and cool up there. Funny thing is they go up there in the morning to look out the window. Silly Chickens

8. SuperChiks

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks everyone!

9. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    BTW, what breed are they? Silkies and Cochins cannot fly very well, as long as a few other breeds.

10. SuperChiks

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:There are two silkies but the rest are a mixture, Astralorps, Ameracaunas, Barred rocks, Blue Wyandottes and Duccles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by