My hens won't stay home

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 2dogs1cat, Aug 30, 2010.

1. 2dogs1cat

2dogs1cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    The fence along the front of the yard is only 4 ft and we cannot make it taller. What can I do to discourage fence hopping? Every morning for the past week I've had to round them up from the neighbors and get them home. Today is the worst - they've gone over the fence 4 times at least! They've got a huge backyard to roam so I don't understand the appeal of the front yard - there is NOTHING out there to eat....

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Not sure this'll help but to get mine interested in other areas of my yard when they were first out free ranging I'd attract them with some treats (black oil sunflower seeds or grapes) to the area I'd want them to go in.

Worth a shot?

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Gotta be something over there that they like better than in your yard.

Does your yard have shelter for them to get under, shade. Places to play and hide

If you can't build the fence higher you can

1. Keep them locked up in the run

2. Let them out in the evening, they wont wander as far.

3. Build a fence that will stop them from hoping over. chicken stands here next to the fence [​IMG] lllllll

[​IMG]
    chicken can hop on top of the fence and jump to the other side [​IMG] llllllll lllllllll llllllll [​IMG]

___
    chicken can't jump UP & OVER [​IMG] l use some bird netting, depending on what kind of fence you have attache the netting so it hangs out from the fence. I used thin pvc When chickens try to jump over, they bump into the netting and drop back to the ground. Was the only way I could keep Houdini my escape artist RIR in a pen. That was until the morning glories grew up the netting and she used them to climb out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by