My hero, Max.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaybats, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I've read about this many times here but witnessed it for the first time today.

(A little background: Wanted to introduce Max (6 mo. old RIR roo) to his own flock (7 BO and 3 WR just over 2 mos.) and let him free range with them the other day. He's ready,, they are not. Had to separate, but all are still within eye and ear shot, and have been for some time.)

Here goes: Had the little girls out free ranging while going about regular 'duties' in the barn and (now defunct) garden and decided to take a little break. While sipping on my coffee, I heard a crow I've never heard before....and then saw a stampede of twenty little chick feet making a beeline for the coop. I looked up to my left and there was a some kind of a bird (hawk? chicken hawk? [​IMG] ) descending as if it were after something. I jumped up and herded everyone in, like they needed my help for that. Max's quarters are right next to the coop and they all huddled up closest to him.

Even from his confinement, he managed to warn the babies and did what he could to keep them safe. OMG

It all happened so fast. I don't know if I would have been quick enough if it hadn't been for Max.

As a side note, and I don't know if this could be the case, but even the ducks took cover!

Yay Max!!! [​IMG]

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Max!!!

3. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    lol chicken hawk

4. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    [​IMG] You go Max! Atta boy! [​IMG]

5. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    I'll post a picture of 'my hero' later today. I can't believe out of the billions of photos I have taken I can't find one that does him real justice. I stink as a photographer!! [​IMG]

6. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    [​IMG] Yay Max! WTG.

7. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    [​IMG] Yay, Max! Give him some extra treats! After what happened, your girls will readily accept him now. [​IMG]

8. kaybats

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:You are so right! Max has been with them all day today. And when I locked up, I left him in with the girls. Worried, of course, I checked about an hour later and everyone was content and happy!!!

My Max....

[​IMG]

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Max earning his place!

10. sumner28

sumner28 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Adrian, GA
    yeah give the man a treat for me too